Friday, July 18, 2008

Harvest

I got to join the evening picking tonight and what a harvest!
Above are 2 types of butter lettuce and some romaine.  A friend at work got me hooked on butter lettuce about 2 years ago.  I had no idea what a wonderful lettuce it was!  I will see him this next week so I'll need to bring him some if there is any left!
I needed a point of reference so that's my foot in the picture.  I wear a size 8 1/2.  We picked about 5 rows of beans tonight.  Yellow wax beans and some green beans.  Also notice the huge bucket of cucs!!!!  Love them!  We'll be giving away the beans and cucs tomorrow to some lucky individuals!

Mike is now official.  He has his business, a checking account and now a debit card.  What more do you need?  How about customers....  I have no doubt that he will need to turn folks away next year and there will be a waiting list for the CSA.  
The early variety tomatoes are starting to turn red.  I really need to go around now and mark the tomatoes and pepper and cucs so I know what is what.  But first we need to do a little more cleaning of the old house as we hope to put it on the market next week.

By the way- our cats will not be wearing wigs per the last post by Mike.  Isabella is going to the farm house tomorrow and a friend is helping us find barn cats and so we might be in luck tomorrow.  If not, it doesn't seem like it will be hard to find some.  No more mice in the house at this time- we caught the 2 that were hanging out last week.

Quick note on Emily's theater camp week: it was great and next week they start working on a play.  There will be 2 plays and Emily is the lead role for her play.  She is so excited and has started memorizing her lines already.  Mom, Dad, brother and sis will be practicing too.... We rehearsed Scene 1 tonight (4 scenes in total).

1 comment:

Blue Heron Farm said...

Wow! Way to go, y'all. I know how exciting it is to have your first big harvest. (Even though ours was milk - not veggies)

I wish we were close enough to be recipients of your extras. Of everything but the cukes, of course. ;)