Sunday, March 1, 2009

Learnings....

We will never intentionally lamb in February or March.
April or May make so much more sense -unless we are missing something that all the other breeders seem to know.

Newborn lambs are fragile creatures in the wind and cold as we are finding.
We lost a lamb ram this morning.  We aren't sure when the momma had her baby-- could have been at 2am while it was snowing or at 5am and it just got cold quickly, but she was way up the hill and we didn't see her till making rounds in the morning and by then it was too late.  

It's also going to be cold the next few days so we moved momma and Wag'n back to the barn and picked out 4 of the ewes that looked the most pregnant and took them up to the barn.  They are not too happy about hanging out in a small area with the goats but it'll have to do till next week when it is warmer.  We know that there are 2 more sheep in the pasture due in 2 weeks and from the flock that we don't know due dates it looks like there are 1-2 more that could be pregnant.  We also created a smaller pasture near the house and the other ewes are going to have to stay in that area as well so we can keep an eye on them.  

This is just all way too much work for Feb/March lambs.  Much better to lamb when the grasses are growing tall and the nights are warm-- April/May/June.  We'll be changing that schedule next year and if we buy any new animals then they need to calve or lamb when its warm.

It was actually just heart breaking today to see that momma going up the hill where she had the lamb and bleeting over and over and calling to her baby in the hopes that he would bleet back.  The other ewes were also mourning for her in a way.  They've never really come close to me when I'm out in the field and a few came over to see me today and 'talk' to me.  It was very strange-- very strange.  So I did what felt right, I went over by the group and I talked to them.  I said how sorry I was and sad as well.  I just hung out and talked to the ewes for 4-5 minutes.  

I wonder if I'll be a vegetarian someday....

2 comments:

Blue Heron Farm said...

I would tell you the loss gets easier, but it doesn't.

And honestly, if it does, it's probably time to quit.

The sensitivity you all have is exactly what makes you the kind of farmers this country needs more of.

Hang in there, guys.

SteveandAlina said...

Oh, that's so sad. I am sitting here, pumping at work so of course I am feeling hormonal. Sending you a hug....