Wednesday, September 2, 2009

1 year anniversary of moving into our farm house

We've now been living full time in our farm house for 1 year.
People say to me- you've only been here 1 year and I say yep, only 1 year.  We did have the garden last year and our "test" CSA members but we did that while not living here.  We think that our progress has been incredibly slow, but when we step back and view our farm through objective eyes, we have made great progress.

In a few weeks we'll reach another anniversary with arrival of ducks.  16 ducks in Sept 2008.   Then 30 chickens sometime in Oct or Nov.   In February we will celebrate the arrival of 16 cattle (5 pregnant cows in that 16) and sheep and 250 more chickens.  And then they'll be anniversaries for the border collies, meat chickens, turkeys, pigs, rabbits and goats.  I can't wait to see what happens in 1 more year.  Likely livestock guardian dogs, maybe different and more goats and then more of the same of all the rest of the animals.  And this may be the year that we start to experiment with cheese-- just for ourselves- but learning how to make it.  We love our meat, eggs and veggies--- but we're thinking milk and cheese (and ice cream) would be fun and Mike thinks it would be good for his long term business plan.
And in April, our Barn will be 100 years old.  We plan on having a barn party to celebrate the barn's birthday.

Here is a picture of the house back in Aug 2008.  I don't have a more recent one, but when I put it next to this one it'll be clear the changes!  That small building is gone, we now have fencing and the barn has a green roof now.

Mike is hosting a "Farm Day" tomorrow for local farmers.  They want to see what he is doing with pasture grazing, the CSA and the farm in general.  I can't believe that they picked him and our farm for their Farm Day.  It's truly and honor and a milestone.  Go Mike!!!  




I think I'll need to make a lemon meringue pie to celebrate.  Pastured eggs make lemon meringue pie that is to die for..... 

2 comments:

Sue said...

A year! Wow that went so fast and to me you have made unbelievable progress! As I've told you before, I'm amazed everyday at you. I come home from work exhausted and spent and you go home from work and do farm work! You've all done an amazing job with the farm. Happy Anniversary!!

SteveandAlina said...

Happy Anniversary to you guys! I agree, I have no idea how Annette works and also takes care of all the farm stuff. We can barely get the grass mowed over here let alone anything else. Plus you have your 3 kids, too. WOW. Don't be too hard on yourselves. Mike, special congrats to you on your selection to host Farm Day.... That is really neat!