Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Garden-quick photo update

The tomatoes are growing. But a lot of them are still GREEN! I really, really don't understand why but they look good- just green. Some are just starting to turn yellow, red, orange, etc- but I'm really afraid that they are going to turn all at once.

But in terms of success-- see that pretty stars and moons watermelon? I have lots of lopes, honeydew melons and watermelons growing nicely. I check them every few days and they are still steadily growing. I'm very, very excited as I've never been able to grow cantalopes before!
The peppers also look gorgeous. The zucchini is starting to exhaust itself though I've got another shorter 2 rows that are started for a second crop.

5 comments:

Zach F said...

They look good. Are you growing organic?

Annette said...

Yep- growing organically. I am using a great organic fertilizer this year for some stuff-- didn't use it on the tomatoes though. Neptune's organic fertilizer.

The hardest part about organic gardening is the bugs. My arugula tastes great but has holes in it....

Annette said...

Yep- growing organically. I am using a great organic fertilizer this year for some stuff-- didn't use it on the tomatoes though. Neptune's organic fertilizer.

The hardest part about organic gardening is the bugs. My arugula tastes great but has holes in it....

Zach F said...

I've used neem oil for some pest problems and it seems to help. I also try to have flowers and some weeds in the area to provide food and habitat for some of the beneficial insects.

Des said...

My boyfriend and I tried growing tomatoes, peas, and cucumbers in my apt but we got aphids and they killed all of our plants!

How do you deal with the bugs?

I love your farm! I would love to have a farm when I have my own house or at least a greenhouse.
I have been trying to eat organically lately. How wonderful you grow your own organic food.