Monday, October 3, 2011

Our Farm Meat

I was reminded again today that the quality of our pasture raised meat is superb. I also am debating the ramifications of pursuing a lofty goal. Can I do with lamb what the wine industry has done with grapes? Will customers be willing to learn the breeds of lambs to value the superior genetics and quality of meat?

Tonight I was at a nice restaurant that was serving rack of lamb. Now first off, the waiter said "would you like a petite lamb chop? Now I know the difference between a lamb chop and a piece of rack of lamb but I ignored this error as the waiter likely said this as it is easier to say lamb chop than rack of lamb. It was very good lamb so I was very curious of the breed as it was very mild like our Kathadin lambs.

So then came my dilemna. Do I or do I not ask my infamous question? My colleagues I was with cringed because they knew what was coming. After 2 glasses of a great Cab- Beringer- I had to ask. So I asked the waiter.... would you happen to know the breed of lamb just like grape of this wine I am drinking? He said, "Yes! This is Colorado Lamb!".
Oh boy-- that's like saying this is California wine when a merlot is absolutely different from a Chardonnay.

So then the poor waiter had to listen to me for a few minutes while I said I raised lamb and that the breed of lamb is like the type of grape for wine. Poor, poor waiters who fall into this trap at every restaurant I visit. But if you want to make an impact on society and the world in general then teaching people about lamb is a practical and achievable goal.

Just like people think that Angus steers are superior meat due to the marketing efforts, Kathahin lambs could be the breed of choice for lamb!!!

2-3 more people got the lamb lecture from me tonight---- billions left to train...... maybe....

3 comments:

LindaG said...

Haha. Sounds like a very worthwhile venture to me.
Good luck with that!

Donna OShaughnessy said...

The answer to your first question is YES. We raise Red Wattle hogs. Their meat is NOT the other white meat, it is red and juicy and over time we have taught our customers (restaurants and groceries as well as individuals) the difference from Red Wattle and other common hog breeds. Education is everything, it just takes time. Invite the restaurants to your farm and teach the chefs. They in turn will teach the waiters and soon "Colorado Lamb" will no longer be so popular

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have seen his face while you gave him the lecture....Hope all is well there!!!

Michele