Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What happens when you don't live near your garden

The potatoes being taken over by weeds.  Mike got a small tiller the other day.  He's going to attack them tomorrow!

Now is about the right time to cover up the potato plants.  You cover them up 3/4 of the way and then potatoes will grow out of those shoots while the plant grows taller.

The corn is coming up but it's spotty.  I guess I'm just going to have to go with a bigger setting on the seeder next time.  Although the kids might have fun going through the corn maze as it comes up.

Bug attack on my beans!!!  I could not find a trace of the bug on my beans and I suspect it's because they jumped a row over to the potatoes below.


The weeds are just about officially ready to take over.  
Thank goodness we close on the farm house next Friday and so we'll be there to straighten out nature.
We have a plan to move the extra twin bed (aka the top bunk) from Kevins room and the extra twin bed from the girls room to the new house.  Then we'll buy 3 more twin mattresses for mike, myself and another kid.  We can then declutter our current house while we clutter up the new one.  Then we'll put the old one on the market and it should stay nice and clean because hopefully we'll be living at the farm most of the time.  We also have an extra fridge in the garage-- so that will come along as well.

It's amazing how much stuff we accumulate over time.  All you really need to move into a new place is a mattress, a fridge, a few clothes, towels and kitchen items.  All I need.... (mike will be impressed with this link)

I went to the farm today before softball and found that we have a bug problem.  I think I've narrowed it down to a flea bug, maybe a corn bug or cucumber bug- it seems to like my beans and is now starting on a row of potatoes.  I was trying to figure out how we could borrow a few guinea hens for a few days so that they'd eat the bugs.  A mother of a friend told me to take a sifter out to the garden and sift flour or corn starch on the leaves.  Evidently for most bugs they take a few bites of the stuff and then can't get it off.

We need to get them now because they seem to have started at one end of the beans and are traveling down the row.  They are also only through one row of potatoes so we can stop the invasion if we act tomorrow.  I will never complain about the extra price for organic produce.  It is not easy to maintain a garden without pesticides.  

No comments: