Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Making up for lost time

Whew.  I was having intertubes withdrawal.  I almost had to get an I.V. injection at Starbucks.  I love being at the farmhouse, and I can do without TV with no problem, well, except when the Olympics are on, but the lack of internet is seriously giving me the willies.  I've been jonesing pretty bad lately.

Spent the day mucking out the lower part of the bank barn.  Back aching work.  But it was great work because the largest part of the barn looks fantastic now.  I cleared out a couple of pickup loads of dirt, hay, barn swallow guano, bat guano, straw, dirt, and whatever the stuff is that they used to use for mortar for the foundation walls.  Thank baby Jesus for tractors.  Dear Lord Baby Jesus, thank you for tractors.  I feel BLESSED that I have a tractor!  I know you made them just for me so I could scoop stuff up and feel manly.  

Downloading photos now from the last few days.  AD will get them posted tonight.

We had a bit of a problem with the barn cats.  Yesterday I took Eva and Sunflower to the vet.   Eva had a pretty good upper respiratory infection.   She is quite feral still and was pretty much impossible to get into the cat carrier.  NO way you were grabbing that cat.  The kids were outside the barn looking in the window as I was chasing her all over the room trying in vain to grab her.  Belly laughs ensued.  I finally was able to corner her up above a cabinet and held up the cage so her only way out was by escaping into the cage.  Worked like a charm.  After 10 minutes of circus cat hell.

Went to the vet, and they both had ear mites.  Eva got an antibiotic shot.  Sunflower had a high temp and got IV fluids and then a Feline Leukemia shot.  Then, 209 dollars poorer I headed home.

Then this morning, I get up and go to check on the cats, still not let loose yet as the rescue people said to keep them confined for 2 to 3 weeks.  Erm...the door was open.  And no cats to be found.

A bit of searching and calling and the 3 cats I thought we would find came out and I fed them.  Eva, Stripes, and Ned Smith were nowhere to be found.    I think one of them was in the hayloft because I saw some hay falling down.  But I heard no sounds and never saw them.  

So, we still have 3, and probably will be feeding all 6, but I doubt we will ever see the phantom 3 again, or at least not for long.  They arent exactly people cats.

Ill let Annette explain the rest of the weekend.  It was a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Blue Heron Farm said...

You will learn to be your own vet - especially with barn cats. The only thing we use the mobile vet for is rabies, which is the law in TX - can't give your own rabies vaccine.

Check out Jeffers online for vaccinations, ear mite junk, etc. We have VetRx for the goats -- it says it works for ear mites (which they have never had) - but it is also for respiratory junk. Nose drops...we used them on the ducks once for respiratory crud and it worked so well hristian started using it.

I know it won't be easy to treat them until they calm down, but just something to look forward to. Not paying a vet for things you can truly do yourself. Shots are not hard. Time to "country up". ;)

Michael@greenakeys.com said...

The main problem is actually catching the critters, not doing the vaccinating. Im not worried about that. Since the barn door was opened, I havent seen 3 of the cats at all. Perhaps the Hav A Heart trap will come in handy after all.