Sunday, June 28, 2009

Week 5 Update- Garlic

Week 5-- oh my goodness and thank goodness.

2-4 more weeks of lettuce and then no more lettuce till September-- I'm a little tired of lettuce... on to Swiss Chard and Zucchini.

This was the sign from last week. I thought I'd photograph it so we'd have a visual record of what we had each week for next year.



So this week--- little bit more lettuce and snap peas-- but bring on the garlic and zucchini!!!
Shallots are almost ready as well. Tomatoes are green--- growing but green.

This is 1/2 of the garlic in the barn ready for me to tie it up to dry.


Beautiful garlic. I planted hard and softneck garlic. Garlic in a grocery store is just about always softneck garlic because they can automate some of the picking and it also stores well. Softneck garlic can store for a year or more. Hardneck garlic stores 2-6 months. I had 12 varieties of in total planted.

This week we'll start by giving you random varieties in your box and then let you pick a few a few extra bulbs of garlic from a blue bin. We had some that the tops came off and so we had to dig the garlic out of the ground with a shovel. So we are going to be eating those first as those will not last as long. There is a reason why it's better to cure the garlic with the tops on them I'll find out later and tell us all why-- these lost their tops so we'll eat these first.

Below is a bin of a softneck variety.


One more tilled up area. This area is popcorn, winter squash, more summer squash and more pumpkins and gourds. I've never grown popcorn before so I thought I'd give it a whirl and see what I got. I wasn't sure on the pumpkins growing in the lower level garden and I had lost some that didn't germinate properly so I figured you can never have enough pumpkins.....

3 comments:

Blue Heron Farm said...

Awesome! We want to buy garlic if there is extra. We can paypal you for whatever you can send and a flat rate USPS box. :)

SteveandAlina said...

Everything looks wonderful!

Michael@greenakeys.com said...

If there is EXTRA? How much do you want? Its beautiful stuff.

As soon as it is dried and cured, we will box up a bunch and send it out.