Friday, October 2, 2009

A Beautiful Sight



Mike and I were remembering when we first got the chickens and we got 1-2 eggs a day. He-he.
Now look at the bounty! The October and 3 year old hens are tapering off production for the winter but the February flock that started laying in July will go thru the winter and go especially strong if we give them a little extra light in the mobile. We just have to figure out how to do that.....

But for those buying eggs, don't worry, we'll have enough eggs to sell you thru the winter. I totally understand what the world is like without pastured eggs-- and it's a depressing world. Suddenly all your baked goods are not as fluffy, you get no joy as you crack open an egg and you are stuck with more cholesterol as the other eggs just don't have the nutritional value of pastured eggs.

My favorite breakfast (that I just finished eating 15 minutes ago and have about 3 times a week at least) is a pork (bacon, ham, sausage-varied to change it up), egg and cheese sandwich. My goal this winter is to make the bread part of the sandwich from scratch as well as the cheese and butter that I use to fry my egg. mmmmm..... what a great way to start the day.



1 comment:

Sutton Family said...

I used my last of the akey eggs this morning on toast with cheese and canadian bacon. I was wishing I had akey bacon left over but that was gone as soon as I got it out of the oven. Deeeelish! Get the new Bread Baker's Apprentice Cookbook! You guys are doing an awesome job!