Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What to do with leftover Turkey and Garden Veggies

Per last blog posting comments-- soup is a great idea!!   Soup was made last week after Turkey Day.  I'm still perfecting my stock so that it is not so cloudy and a little more consume 'ish' .  The leftover turkey bones and feet made the stock.  Then the stock was strained and the next day leftover turkey meat was added along with fresh celery, carrots, parsley, thyme from the garden.  No onions left so those were store bought.  I'm at the point where making 14 quarts of stock/soup combination is no sweat and something that I can multi-task around while I clean the kitchen or make something else.  If anyone wants to learn how to can-- I'd be more than happy to teach you.  It's so wonderful to open up a fresh jar of soup or stock.  

Jen (CSA member, friend and chicken/turkey processing helper) finally decided to make chicken stock using chicken feet.  This is the first person who's even agreed to try it.  It's weird and you have to get over the toe-nails.  But I promise I would not steer you wrong on this one.  Her email to me is below.  Finally!!! One convert to making chicken stock with feet!!!  

Used the chicken feet Mike gave me last week to make stock.  It was definitely the most flavorful stock I have ever made.  Usually, not much flavor at all.  I added the left over turkey and vegetables.  Turned out to be a really good dinner.  It must have been good - kids asked for leftovers in lunch.  Thanks so much.  Jen



No comments: