Sunday, January 31, 2010

Grass Fed Beef Cookbooks

We ate steak tonight.  I forgot to take pictures....
I thought we were having company with all the meat on the table.  Mike said since the steaks are vacuum sealed, they didn't look that big in the packaging.  But then he opened them and then realized, wow, that's a lot of meat.

We tried ribeyes, sirloin tip and sirloin steak.  Mike grilled them.  First he seared them on high heat and then turned the grill down to low.  We've learned that grass fed beef should be cooked slowly. As we knew, the meat was lean and packed with flavor.  And it was a deeper red color.  That's the thing I notice the most about the meat in general besides the taste.  When frozen it can look purple and when cooked it's not light pink or light brown, it's darker brown and deep, deep pink and red. I'm sure there is a reason for this.... tomorrow's blog posting.

But first a plug for 2 books that are teaching us how to cook grassfed meat.

To learn how to properly cook grass fed meats.  I'm going to recommend this
author and her 2 books.
I'll include a few other books as well, but these were the 2 we started reading.
Cook on low heat slowly... and have a thermometer to check the temp. 
The more I keep reading about grass fed meats, the more I wonder how it took me so long to learn about grass fed products.  I just never knew....

The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook: Healthy Cooking & Good Living with Pasture Raised Foods







The Farmer and the Grill: A Guide to Grilling, Barbecuing and Spit-Roasting Grassfed Meat...and for saving the planet one bite at a time


No comments: