Sunday, January 3, 2010

Ready for 2010!


The seed catalogues have arrived and this weekend the seed lists were made. We will be ordering seeds in 4 weeks so sign up for the CSA now if you want in. After February we'll be closed for new signups as I really want to make sure I order the right amount of seeds this year.
Yes, those are Turnips in that bowl. I went out to the garden to see what was there. Arugula is still fine, cilantro, thyme and some parsley as well. There are also small Kohlrabi in the garden. I keep hoping they'll grow more- but maybe not. Carrots are still fine as well.

Next year I'm really going to do a proper winter garden and offer that to those that want to extend the season. Amazingly lots of stuff still keeps till January. I just go out there every week and see what I find. It's amazing. We ate the turnips, carrots with some parsnips, butternut squash and sweet potatoes all cut up and baked in olive oil with some brown sugar and course salt. Fabulous.

Spaghetti squash also keeps for a long time. I ate one today for dinner and I'll try the last one in February to see how it tastes then. We're going to experiment with a root cellar next year as I'm really digging the long storage foods in the winter.

Daisy is due to have kittens (bunny kittens) in about 2 weeks so these will be our first baby bunnies.

The 4 steers go to the butcher in 10 days. We successfully moved the correct 4 to their own pasture and still have to figure out how to get them in trailer to bring to the butcher. We've resorted to putting their feed in the trailer and getting them used to going in and out of the trailer. We'll see if that works in 2 weeks.

If you want beef-- call this week. We have 2 more steers available and it might be down to 1 more tomorrow. You can do a whole, half or quarter. $3.50/lb and that's a steal! A whole steer will be about 500-600lbs. We also have a small amount of pork and/or sausage available if you are interested. Just give Mike a ring.

1 comment:

BoogaJ said...

I got my seed catalogs too and have been having so much fun looking through them. Of course, my garden is tiny compared to what you do, but I still dream big :) I know we are in a different part of the country, but I'd love to hear some of your top seed picks!