Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Mailbox


Since I am the one getting the mail this week, I get to see what comes in our mail.  I think the magazine diversity is absolutely hilarious so I took a photo.

Tonight while reading Backyard Poultry, I learned that egg shells are generally thicker and stronger in the winter but thinner in warm weather when hens pant.  Panting causes the hen to evaporate body water which in turn reduces carbon dioxide into the body and will upset the birds pH balance and can cause a reduction in calcium mobilization.  

Laying hens need 2-4 cups of water a day or on a hot day 4-8 cups of water.  That's a lot of water for such a little animal.

And that was only the beginning--- the article described a whole bunch of other egg problems that can occur.  

I'm going to need to figure out how many hens we'll get in September.  Maybe we'll start with 6 hens and a rooster.  But what kind?  Stay tuned....

1 comment:

Blue Heron Farm said...

Ha!

Our mailbox looks the same.

Hobby Farms
Surfer's Journal
Farm Show
Real Simple

...we keep them rotating in a magazine rack in the bathroom. It impresses company. ;)